Burning and Melting Fabric
What is it?
Changing the surface texture of fabric using a heat gun and quick even movements.
Why it’s awesome:
You can create amazing bubbled effects on synthetic fabrics or scorched and burned patterns on natural fabrics.
But, as always, do a few samples. Some fabrics melt quickly while others take a few minutes. Experiment before beginning a larger piece.
- Fabric: synthetic and natural
- Heat resistant surface like granite or concrete
- Heat gun
- Heavy leather gloves to protect your hands
- Fire extinguisher
- Lay out your fabric on a heat resistant surface like granite. Make sure to keep a fire extinguisher handy, just in case.
- Slowly and evenly draw the heat gun across the surface of the fabric.
- Vary the distance between the heat gun and fabric for different results.
- Allow the fabric to cool completely before touching it.
Check out this video to see a quick tutorial: